Aged Care Frequently Asked Questions



If you have a question not listed below or you want further help, please reach out to claudia@agedcsv.com.au or call our office and the team will be more than happy to help you.

Click to call: 1300 001 225

You will need to be assessed. This is done through the government, usually through myagedcare.gov.au

Before you do this though, we strongly suggest you have receive financial advice to ensure you receive the maximum you are entitled to. This is where we can help.

Depending on the forms you are looking for, you can start by looking here. Our friendly team are always happy to help our clients and can provide which ever form you require, just contact Angela and the team in our office. 

The assessment team assess the needs of older people. It then makes recommendations for government funded care and support, including home care, aged care home and short term care options. If you apply for any of these services, you will require a face to face assessment with a professional. You can check if you are eligible for an assessment here: (myagedcare.gov.au)

This can vary widely, some people based on their circumstances will not be out of pocket for care, and for other homes, particularly ones closed to Melbourne, you can be looking at around one million dollars. This is why it is imperative to receive advice so you can fully understand the options when it comes to your care options.

Regardless of your financial situation, everyone is entitled to a place in aged care.

If you are our client, we will check this for you and ensure you are receiving the maximum entitlements. For more information on veterans payments, you can click here: dva.gov.au

If you use a professional service for this, then their fees will apply. We can refer you to reputable providers for this service if needed. Fees will differ from home to home, so best to chat to the facilities you are interested in to gauge their fees.

We have written an article about this, you will find it here.

It is a short term accommodation, usually within an aged care facility to help carers have some time off or for a potential resident to trial aged care.

This very much depends on your eligibility for funding. If you are approved for respite care, the government will subsidise your costs, however you are expected to contribute if you can afford to. You can read more here. (health.gov.au)

Not usually, however sometimes it can take longer to find a place.

If you want to apply for STRC, an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) must assess you. You can access an ACAT assessment by contacting My Aged Care. You can read more here. (health.gov.au)

We offer a full financial planning service, which we can discuss further with you. Get in touch to find out more.

Once you have made your appointment, we will send you a checklist specific to your circumstance.

We offer EFTPOS for your convenience.

 Our services are fixed price, so please call our office to get a price for your requirements. Consultations start around $300.

Depending on the service you are looking for. Initial consultations are usually around an hour.

Health insurance works the same in aged care as it would if you were in your own home. Health insurance doesn't cover any aged care costs, however many people still choose to continue with their insurance to enable private care in a private hospital if it is needed.