Who to Deal With When Entering into Aged Care?

Entering aged care as a resident or the residents family is usually a very overwhelming time for all. There is a lot to navigate and understand, and quite substantial financial obligations. People are often unsure who to deal with when entering aged care. Here are the five people you should have in your corner when navigating the aged care process.


This could be your GP or the doctor treating you in hospital. A trusted figure who will advise if an aged care facility would be the next step in the patients care. You are always in your rights to get second opinions if you wish, to ensure you are happy with the care and decisions being made.

Assessment Team

If your care needs indicate you need to enter an aged care home, you will then need to be assessment by ACAS (ACAT in other states). These assessors are usually a nurse, social worker or other health care professional, and will make a time to come to you and speak to you about your current situation and assess you for government funded aged care services. Once assessed, you will receive an approval and support plan showing the care you have been approved to receive. You can contact them here.

Financial Planner

Once you know the level of care you need, and you start looking at facilities, you will need to know the best way to afford this. Engaging an aged care specialist financial planner will assist you to go through all your options thoroughly, and at ACSV, we will also ensure that your entitlements from Centrelink and any other funding you are entitled to is in order. Aged care facilities generally require a RAD (Refundable Accommodation Deposit) which can even be around 1 million in inner city areas, so by obtaining professional advice, you will ensure you are properly informed on how to best afford this given your personal circumstances.


A solicitor can assist with any wills, power of attorney or house sale if required.

Real Estate Agent

You don’t have to sell the house to afford aged care, many people choose to keep and rent it out. Whichever option you decide, an agent will be required to assist with the lease or the sale.

Claudia, Angela and the team at Aged Care Specialists Vic have been dealing with families for years going through this process. They will provide a listening ear and guide you through it, referring you to other professionals if needed (eg Solitcors and Aged Care Placement help) They are experts in the area and the long list of testimonials and google reviews show they are very good at what they do. 

You can contact them here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.